25 August 2009

iTunes podcast smart playlist


I listen to podcasts on a regular basis, and found that iTunes is missing an easy way to collect all my new / unlistened podcasts in one place. That is why I made this smart playlist.

Update your podcasts as you would regularly. For me I have turned off automatic update, leaving it on manual as I don't always want iTunes downloading all the podcasts if I'm not going to listen to them. Some I have set to keep all and some like news podcasts only keep the latest.

I have my iPod touch set to sync the smart playlist which I call PODCASTS. I select all podcasts and select update, then when all are downloaded I sync my iPod touch. This leaves all the new podcasts in their own playlist sorted by length (shortest first). That way I get through the news first as they are usually 5-10 min max.

If I am working around the house I will sync my iPod shuffle by dragging all the podcasts into the shuffle library for the same effect.

I have found that I had to separate the video / audio podcasts so made another smart playlist exactly the same that has 'video' instead of 'audio' as final criteria.

Hope this is useful... I know it has saved me allot of time, especially when I just want to go outside and work on a project... I don't seem to have much patience at that point :)

No comments:

Post a Comment